IIT Admission Process : What is JEE Mains & JEE Advanced ? – Many youngsters in India want to become engineers and they know that the best college to become an engineer is IIT. But many students do not know how to get admission in IITs. Which exam has to be taken for admission? How is the IIT exam pattern? How many papers are there in IIT exam? If you want to go into IT, then you should know all these things Career.
What is IIT ?
First of all, what is IIT? IIT’s full name is the Indian Institute of Technology. The IIT was established on 15 September 1956 according to the Indian Institute of Technology Act 1956. IIT is the top technology institute in the country. It is also called the country’s top engineering institute. IIT colleges are located in 23 cities in India. IIT JEE Main and Advanced Exams are conducted for admission in these colleges. Through these two exams, you can do BE or BTech in any one of the 23 cities of the country.
Where are IITs ?
There are 23 IITs in different cities of India.
- IIT Kanpur (Uttar Pradesh)
- IIT Delhi (Delhi)
- IIT Guwahati (Assam)
- IIT Roorkee (Uttarakhand)
- IIT Ropar (Punjab)
- IIT Kharagpur (West Bengal)
- IIT Bombay (Maharashtra)
- IIT Madras (Tamilnadu)
- IIT Indore (Madhya Pradesh)
- IIT Mandi (Himachal Pradesh)
- IIT Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh)
- IIT Bhubaneshwar (Odisha)
- IIT Gandhinagar (Gujrat)
- IIT Hyderabad (Telangana)
- IIT Jodhpur (Rajasthan)
- IIT Palakkad (Kerala)
- IIT Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh)
- IIT Dharwad (Karnataka)
- IIT Dhanbad (Jharkhand)
- IIT Bhilai (Chattisgarh)
- IIT Jammu (Jammu and Kashmir)
- IIT Goa (Goa)
- IIT Patna (Bihar)
How to take admission in IIT ?
Millions of students apply for admission to IITs every year. Some of which can be selected by students. There are two exams for admission in IITs and you have to pass both these exams with good marks.
- IIT JEE Main
- IIT JEE Advanced
What is the IIT JEE Main Exam ?
This is the initial exam for admission in IIT. If you pass it, then after giving another exam, you can be selected in IIT. But if you can pass only in the IIT JEE Main Exam, then you can only get admission in some government colleges in the country, that too based on your marks.
- IIT JEE Main is an online exam.
- In this objective questions are asked.
- The total number of questions in IIT JEE is 90 and the total marks are 360 i.e. 4 marks are set for each question.
- If you give a wrong answer to a question, then for every wrong answer, your 1 mark will be deducted. In IIT JEE Main exam, 30-30 questions of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics are asked.
- You can give this exam with or even after the intermediate examination.
- IIT JEE is held twice in a year. After 12th, you can give it for 3 years. That means your maximum effort is up to 6.
If you bring good marks in it, then you can get admission in any government college in the country based on this score.
What is the IIT JEE Advanced Exam ?
This is the next and last step to get admission in IITs. If you pass it then assume that your selection in IIT is confirmed.
- Students who have 75% (General & OBC) and 65% (SC, ST & PWD) marks in class 12th can participate in IIT JEE Advance.
- Your rank in IIT JEE Mains should be within 2 lakhs.
- You should not be more than 25 years of age.
- JEE Advanced is an online exam in which objective questions are asked. It consists of two papers and in each paper, questions come from Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
IIT JEE Advanced is called the most difficult exam in the country because you have to work very hard to pass it.
After passing it, you can get admission in IITs as well as in some other institutes of the country, which are as follows:
- Rajiv Gandhi institute of petroleum technology (Rae Bareli)
- Indian Institute of science education and research, Thiruvananthapuram, Bhopal, Mohali, Calcutta, Pune,
- Indian Institute of space science and technology, Thiruvananthapuram
Only those students who bring good marks in both the IIT JEE Main and Advanced exam get the opportunity of admission in 23 IITs of the country.